Camp Waskowitz was built in 1935 by the Civilian Conservation Corps and used as a base camp for forest fire service until 1942. The camp has been a King County landmark since 1992 and was listed on the National Register for Historic Places in the early 1990s. Since 1958, Highline Public Schools has operated the camp, serving children from many school districts. The dining hall rehabilitation and kitchen wing replacement in 2008 maintained the integrity of the site and allowed Camp Waskowitz to continue serving the needs of Highline Public School’s Environmental Learning Program.
The dining hall roof was restored with cedar shingles and a new perimeter concrete foundation ensures the structural stability of the building and meets seismic requirements. Original board and batten siding was retained, patched and restored. Porches added in the 1950s were preserved because they provide shelter from the rain — an important function for the all-season program. To meet fire safety and energy code requirements, the dining hall received a new sprinkler system and light fixtures. The original Civilian Conservation Corps dining tables were also retained.
To increase functional capacity of the camp and serve the needs of the program, the kitchen wing was rebuilt with massing, proportion, materials, and furnishes compatible with the historic precedents. The new commons kitchen serves three meals a day for students during the year.