Located in Seattle’s popular Capitol Hill neighborhood, the Cal Anderson Gatehouse is a designated Seattle City Landmark. Built in 1900 by City Engineer, R. H. Thompson, the cast-in-place concrete structure still houses pumping equipment to control water flow for the Lincoln Reservoir.
Bassetti was commissioned by Seattle Public Utilities to evaluate the building’s condition and deficiencies and prepare an Exterior Assessment Report with recommendations for stabilization. This report led to a complete building renovation that retains the historic character of the property and utilizes a “replacement in kind” strategy for the preservation of the landmark structure. The repairs and restoration are designed to allow this structure to continue serving Seattle Public Utilities for another hundred years.