Working in collaboration with Seattle Parks and Recreation, we designed a series of improvements to the historic Jefferson Park Golf Course, originally designed in 1915 by Thomas Bendelow. The project includes the design of a new, two-story clubhouse and driving range structure, along with a separate cart storage building to be constructed in a later phase.
The original 1915 clubhouse and the one which replaced it in 1920 after a fire, are historically linked to the opening of Jefferson Park as the first golf course in Seattle where people of all races were able to play the game. The third clubhouse, built in 1936 as a Works Progress Administration project, was removed to allow construction of the new facilities.
The new clubhouse design is reflective of the history of the golf course facilities through the use of one- and two-story wood frame and wood-sided volumes, set against the two-story steel driving range. Using large expanses of glass and elevated terraces to provide transparency and visibility, the open and inviting building responds to its lovely site in the park with a facility that is welcoming to all.