Roosevelt High School is a diverse, historically rich campus located in the St. Johns neighborhood of North Portland. The revitalized 17-acre campus consists of the original 1921 brick masonry structure, 1930s auditorium, and three new additions. The project scope includes 95,985 square feet of rehabilitation, 138,956 square feet of new construction, and 97,550 square feet of demolition.
During conceptual design, the project team generated options to address the inefficient use of existing spaces and sprawling nature of the campus. The resulting design connects the campus with a centrally located commons, bridging the old with the new and linking the historic structures with expanded program spaces. The renovated school includes a rehabilitated auditorium to house the school’s community-based services and a media center that is an adaptive reuse of the original auditorium space.
A new addition comprises a main gym and adjacent auxiliary gym, locker rooms, weight room, a wrestling and dance room, and associated classroom and lab spaces. A new performing arts complex features a state of the art 500-seat theater, black box theater, and band and choir room. Building on the initiative to provide more career technical education, new program spaces supports the school’s successful writing and social justice program, and two flexible learning labs support a variety of integrated arts and engineering programs, including robotics.